Miles City (pop. 8,487), named after Col. Nelson Appleton Miles (1839-1925), was established in 1877. Filled with saloonkeepers, soldiers on leave, gamblers and “soiled doves,” the town was a source of irritation for the colonel. As an advocate of temperance, Miles prohibited the sale of alcohol near his cantonment (temporary camp) at the confluence of the Tongue and Yellowstone rivers and later at nearby Fort Keogh.
Triviaby American ProfileJanuary 16, 2005