3 ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced (about 3 cups)
3 kiwis, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup raspberries
5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized candied ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Combine mangoes, kiwis and raspberries. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar; stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
3. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add ginger, coconut, vanilla and milk; mix until just combined.
4. With a 1/3-cup measure or ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar on tops.
5. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly colored and firm. Remove shortcakes from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
6. Break shortcakes into halves horizontally; spoon fruit and juice between halves and top with whipped cream, if using.
—Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen, a food writer in Maple City, Mich.
Nutritional facts per serving: 440 calories, 20g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 6g protein, 64g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 350mg sodium