3 ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced (about 3 cups)
3 kiwis, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup raspberries
5 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized candied ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Combine mangoes, kiwis and raspberries. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar; stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
3. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add ginger, coconut, vanilla and milk; mix until just combined.
4. With a 1/3-cup measure or ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar on tops.
5. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly colored and firm. Remove shortcakes from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
6. Break shortcakes into halves horizontally; spoon fruit and juice between halves and top with whipped cream, if using.
—Recipe by Nancy Krcek Allen, a food writer in Maple City, Mich.
Nutritional facts per serving: 440 calories, 20g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 6g protein, 64g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 350mg sodium
Click here for more great shortcake recipes.
This recipe originally appeared as Coconut Shortcakes with Fresh Summer Fruit on Relish.com