How much do you know about Country Strong, the modern-day melodrama set in the world of country music?
- Tim McGraw, the only bona fide singing star among the movie's leads, is—ironically—the only one who did not sing. Many fans were pleasantly surprised to find out just how well Gwyneth Paltrow, Leighton Meester and Garrett Hedlund could carry a tune.
- Paltrow received a thunderous ovation, several weeks before the movie's premiere, after her performance (with harmonies by Vince Gill) on the 2010 Country Music Association Awards show.
- Numerous other Nashville singing stars have bit parts, including Marshall Chapman, Jim Lauderdale, Ed Bruce, Lari White and Lisa Seals.
- Real-life musicians, including Chris Scruggs (the nephew of banjo wizard Earl Scruggs), Danny Flowers and Gary Nicholson, portray band members and studio session players.
- Much of the movie was filmed on location in Nashville (even scenes that were set in Texas), and eagle-eye viewers will spot several familiar Music City landmarks, including Fontanel, the former home of Barbara Mandrell, converted for the movie into a pastoral rehab facility.
- Hedlund auditioned for his part by singing a Pearl Jam song, then lived in a cabin on Tim McGraw's ranch to learn how to play guitar, take voice lessons and soak up the culture of country music.
- McGraw and Hedlund are romantic rivals in Country Strong, but played father and son in Friday Night Lights (2004).