Busy lifestyles leave little time for a planned exercise routine. Indeed, studies show that most of us dont exercise because we simply dont have time.
But maintaining a healthy heart requires walking 10,000 steps daily (equivalent to roughly five miles), health experts say. A sedentary person walks about 3,000 steps daily. Every time you move, walk across the office, or chase after a toddler you burn calories, which improves overall fitness.
Physical work is the perfect way to fit fitness in each day. If you know you dont have time to get structured exercise into your busy life, think about how to turn a daily ordinary routine into a more active lifestyle. Do you mow your lawn on a riding mower? Clean your car at the automatic car wash? Hire someone to do your heavy cleaning? Blow leaves off the driveway?
Create or add more physical activity by doing some of these things yourself and burn an additional 300 calories a day, which can help you lose 2 1/2 pounds of fat per month.
Consider these ideas to get you moving:
- Get up and move around the office rather than using the intercom system.
- Sweep your sidewalks and patios more often.
- Walk around, or stand, while talking on the phone.
- Climb stairs rather than taking the elevator.
- Find the farthest parking spot available from work or the mall and walk.
- If you play golf, carry your own clubs.
- Hold your stomach muscles in while sitting or standing.
- Do leg exercises at the office copy machine or while you are on the phone.
- Plant and work in your garden.
- Take time to play. Not only is it great exercise, but it helps create a balanced life and wonderful family time. Teach your children or grandchildren games you enjoyed when you were youngRed Rover; Kick the Can; Mother, May I? Shoot baskets, learn to play tennis, throw a ball and play with your children or dog. Take a hike, ride bicycles, or skate with your family.
Physical labor is no longer the necessity that it once was generations ago, so some form of daily exercise is vital to fitness. Caring for your body will make you a happier and healthier person.