Developed by Chef Ellen Paredes of Iron Lakes Country Club in Pa., this sweet-turned savory dish won the honor of First-Place at the 2015 Girl Scout Cookie Crunch event sponsored by Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania and ArtsQuest. Note: Refrain from using oil, salt or pepper prior to cooking; cheeses are inherently flavorful on their own and contain enough oils to keep this dish from sticking to the pan.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
2 lb cooked macaroni pasta
3 lb smoked Gouda, shredded
2 tsp freshly chopped chipotle peppers, not dried or canned
1 lb shredded Parmesan cheese
2 qt heavy cream
2 boxes crumbled Girl Scout Shortbread Cookies (Trefoils), divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set up a double boiler that allows ample volume.
- Once water is boiling roughly, place heavy cream in top of boiler. Once cream is boiling, turn heat down to medium and add all shredded cheese and chopped chipotle peppers. Let all ingredients melt; watch, stirring constantly as to not burn.
- Once all elements are melted, add remaining crumbled Girl Scout Shortbread Cookies, reserving one cup.
- Thoroughly mix cooked macaroni and melted cheese/shortbread mixture and pour into ungreased 12- x 20-inch metal pan with sides. Top with the remaining 1 cup of crumbled Girl Scout Shortbread Cookies and a sprinkle of paprika.
- Place in oven on 350 degrees; bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.