Here’s a fresh, versatile no-cook recipe perfect for picnics. It was the winner in the Relish magazine and California Ripe Olives contest for the best new recipe using ripe olives.
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup couscous
1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 cup California ripe olives
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup mint leaves, shredded
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 leaves Romaine lettuce
1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1. Bring water to boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Add bell pepper, onion, artichoke hearts, olives and cheese to couscous and mix together.
3. Combine mint leaves, garlic, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil in a glass jar with a lid. Shake well to blend.
4. Pour dressing over couscous mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. To serve, line a bowl with Romaine lettuce. Top with couscous mixture. Garnish with wedges of ripe tomato and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serves 10
—Recipe submitted by Shirley Herb, Northumberland, Pa.
Nutritional facts per serving: 250 calories, 17g fat, 8mg cholesterol, 5g protein, 21g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 268mg sodium