If you prefer to make a nonalcoholic version, omit bourbon and add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup cold water.
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
2 rosemary sprigs
6 pounds lemons, halved
1 cup bourbon
6 cups cold water
Grilled lemon slices (optional)
1. Build a two-zone fire in a charcoal grill by placing coals on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. Preheat grill.
2. Combine 1/2 cup water, honey, 1/2 cup sugar and rosemary in a disposable alu- minum pan. Place pan on grill grate, over side without coals (indirect heat), and close grill lid. Cook 10 minutes. Remove pan from grill, and set aside to cool.
3. Place remaining 3/4 cup sugar on a plate. Twist cut side of each lemon half in sugar. Place fruit on grill, directly over hot coals. Grill until sugar caramelizes, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and set aside to cool.
4. When lemons are cool to the touch, squeeze juice from lemons into a medium pitcher (they should yield 3 cups of juice). Pour in simple syrup, discarding rosemary Stir well, and refrigerate until chilled. with a grilled lemon slice, if desired.
5. To serve, pour over ice. Garnish each glass sprigs. Add bourbon and 6 cups cold water.
Nutritional facts per serving: 180 calories, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0g protein, 37g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 1mg sodium
—Recipe reprinted with permission from Fire and Smoke (Crown Publishing, 2014).