1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/4cup powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan. Dust pan with flour to prevent sticking.
2. To prepare cake, in a large mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together on low speed for about 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs alternately with flour, mixing well after each addition. Add salt, vanilla, almond extract, lime juice and peel. Mix until combined. Be careful not to overbeat. If you do, it could dry out the cake.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Turn onto cake plate.
5. To prepare glaze, combine granulated sugar, butter and lime juice in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Drizzle over warm cake.
Let cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar, if using. Serves 20
—Submitted by Diane Smith, Pine Mountain, Ga.
Nutritional facts per serving: 400 calories, 21g fat, 118mg cholesterol, 5g protein, 48g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 105mg sodium