Dreams—particularly of a brighter tomorrow—have served as the keystone of American culture since our nation’s founding, but few individuals manage to share an idea so empowering that it resonates across all of humanity more than half a century following its introduction. Through the tireless rigor of his civil rights movements and the broadcasting of his iconic “I Have A Dream” speech, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. not only pioneered a more cooperative world in the mid-twentieth century, but his words and wisdom continue to encourage and inspire. In celebration of the 52-year anniversary of King’s legendary speech, we’ve rounded up 15 of his most uplifting quotes.
1. On moving forward.
2. On helping others.
3. On choosing love over hate.
4. On having faith.
5. On education.
6. On making the little things count.
7. On standing up for things that matter.
8. On doing the right thing.
9. On spreading justice equally.
10. On knowing what you stand for.
11. On seeing light in the darkness.
12. On being yourself.
13. On courage.
14. On leadership.
15. On keeping your head held high.