1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup apple cider
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Nonstick cooking spray
2 large onions, peeled and cut crosswise into thin slices
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup water
1 medium crisp apple, cored and diced
2 large green onions, plus additional for optional garnish
1/4 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 medium lime
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon molasses
1. To prepare the chicken, blend together molasses, apple cider, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper in a ziptop plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat chicken well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Place sliced onions in pan. Place chicken breasts in a single layer over onions and drizzle marinade mixture over chicken and onions. Cook, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes, until a fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
4. To prepare the salsa, place diced sweet potato in a large microwave-safe bowl; add water, cover loosely, and cook in microwave on high 5 minutes. Drain immediately, then rinse with cold water. Drain well, patting dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl with apple, green onions, pecans, lime juice and rind, pepper flakes and molasses, tossing gently.
5. Remove baking dish from oven; place chicken breasts on a cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Spoon onion mixture from baking pan into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until onion is softened and mixture is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. Cut chicken breasts crosswise into thin slices; serve with onion sauce and salsa.
—Submitted by Janice Elder, Charlotte, N.C.
Per serving: 467 calories, 9g fat, 108mg cholesterol, 39g protein, 49g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 788mg sodium
This recipe originally appeared as Molasses Glazed Chicken with North Carolina Sweet Potato Salsa on Relish.com