8 cups fresh peach slices
1 cup turbinado or brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) very cold butter, grated
4 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons slivered almonds (optional)
Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. To prepare filling, combine peaches, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Toss well; set aside.
3. To prepare crust, combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until blended. Add grated butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water; pulse until mixture comes together.
4. Gather into a ball and divide in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and freeze for later use. Roll remaining dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Cut into strips.
5. Place peaches in a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Top with dough strips, weaving them into a lattice pattern. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top, if using.
6. Bake 30 to 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, if using.
Recipe by Jill Melton, Editor, Relish Magazine
Nutritional facts per serving: 405 calories, 15g fat, 5g protein, 65g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 273mg sodium