Mini Cheeseburger Salad with Yellow Mustard Vinaigrette
"There are many flavors of sharp Cheddar in today’s markets to choose from, so go plain or go wild!" Ray says. "Among the choices out there in sharp Cheddars: five-peppercorn, smoked, dill, garlic and herb, roasted garlic, horseradish, chipotle, habanero, jalapeño—on and on!"
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 rounded tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 12-ounce brick of sharp Cheddar cheese, any flavor
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 cup sliced pickles, drained (choose from sweet, half-sour or dill varieties)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons drained salad pimientos or
- 1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
Preheat grill pan or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or preheat outdoor grill. Combine meat with onion, Worcestershire and steak seasoning. Form 12 large meatballs. Flatten balls into small patties. Drizzle patties with oil to keep them from sticking to the cooking surface.
Slice brick of cheese into 1/4-inch pieces. Grill or pan-fry burgers for 3 minutes on each side. Place cheese slices on burgers, closing the lid of your grill or tenting burgers loosely with foil to melt cheese.
Coarsely chop romaine and combine with pickles and tomatoes. Whisk together mustard and vinegar, then stream in oil. Add chives and pimientos and stir to combine.
Arrange mini cheeseburgers on salad and drizzle dressing over completed dish. Serves 4.