1 large sweet potato, peeled
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons chopped pecans
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Dice sweet potato and place in a medium saucepan of boiling water. Cook until tender but firm. Drain and rinse in cool water. Return to saucepan and mash.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar. Add chopped pecans and stir.
3. In another bowl, mix together eggs, milk, sweet potatoes and melted butter. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir well to form a batter.
4. Preheat a lightly greased griddle over medium heat. Drop 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto griddle. When bubbles begin to surface, flip pancake and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat, using remaining batter.
5. Place cream in a large bowl. With a hand mixer, beat until just before stiff peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form. Top pancakes with topping and pecan halves.
—Submitted by Julina Robert
Nutritional facts per pancake: 104 calories, 5g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 3g sugars, 3g protein,
12g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 168mg sodium
This recipe originally appeared as Sweet Potato Pancakes with Homemade Whipped Topping on Relish.com