Updo hairstyles are perfect for special occasions. Ideal for medium to long hair lengths, an updo can be worn sleek, curly or braided and with wispy tendrils for a romantic soft look. Updos are easy to create, either in your own home or with a little help from your favorite stylist. Consider one of these six updo styles for your next special occasion.
1. French twist. The French twist is a traditional, formal updo that begins with hair brushed to one side and gathered in a pony at the neck’s nape. Stylist Leila Karalic, from Saco Hair in London, suggests spraying your hair in place with hairspray at this point. The pony is then twisted and lifted upward into a cone shape. The twist is held in place with bobby pins.
2. Chignon. The chignon was extremely fashionable for women from the early 1900s through the 1940s. Its popularity continues today as an elegant updo hairstyle worn for weddings, proms and other special occasions. To create a chignon, pull your hair into low pony and split it into two sections. Twist one of the sections under and around the pony and secure with a bobby pin. Do the same with the other side, creating an intricate swirled bun. Set with hairspray.
3. Half updo. Celebrities like Ashley Judd, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez and Eva Longoria have each rocked the half updo on the red carpet. The half updo works best on hair that is at least shoulder length, but it doesn’t matter if your hair is straight, curly or wavy. Brush your hair back from your face, taking a section of hair from each temple and pulling it back up toward the crown of your head. Secure it with an elastic band or bobby pin. You can curl the tendrils for a soft, dreamy look or leave them looking wispy.
[MORE: Top 5 Hair Myths, Debunked]
4. Boho braids. A very modern updo style, boho or bohemian braids are an intricate updo made popular by celebrities like Lauren Conrad, Taylor Swift and Jessica Alba. This updo style is a combination of braids woven and twisted together to form a slightly messy bun at the nape of the neck.
5. Bun. The bun may not sound very elegant, but this classic updo hairstyle is versatile and beautiful. A bun begins with a pony gathered at the nape of the neck. It is then twisted upward, wound into a bun shape and secured with bobby pins. Hair accessories can be added for special occasions.
6. Curled. Even if your hair cascades in curling waves, you can twist it into an elegant updo. If your hair is ruler straight, add curls with your small barrel curling iron. Follow the steps for creating a bun updo. After securing the hair, gently pull curly tendrils out for a tousled, romantic look.