A subtle flavor of coffee infuses these tender cupcakes, topped with a whipped cream frosting.
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1/3cup hot water
4 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1 cup half-and-half
3 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon instant coffee
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons white chocolate instant pudding
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line 24 to 30 cups of cupcake pans with liners.
2. Sift together flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add butter, and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until butter is coated in flour.
3. In a measuring cup or small bowl, add coffee to hot water and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and half-and-half. Whisk in coffee.
5. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, one third at a time, scraping bowl before each addition. Beat until ingredients are incorporated, but don’t overmix. Fill liners two-thirds full.
6. Bake 17 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove to racks to cool.
7. When cupcakes are completely cool, make frosting. Place cream, coffee and powdered sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer on low speed until coffee dissolves. Mix on medium high-high speed until mixture starts to thicken, then add instant pudding and continue mixing until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
Makes about 24 cupcakes.
—Submitted by Wendy Rusch, Eau Claire, Wis.
Nutritional facts per serving: 330 calories, 19g fat, 90mg cholesterol, 3g protein, 36g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 180mg sodium.